The Witcher: Wild Hunt is a story-driven, next-generation open world role-playing game set in a visually stunning fantasy universe full of meaningful choices and impactful consequences. In The Witcher you play as the professional monster hunter, Geralt of Rivia, tasked with finding a child of prophecy in a vast open world rich with merchant cities, viking pirate islands, dangerous mountain passes, and forgotten caverns to explore.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt follows directly from the events of The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings. The game begins with Geralt’s dream about Kaer Morhen, a demolished witcher school. Yennefer, a sorceress and his love interest, notifies Geralt of Ciri, a young female witcher in training and their adopted daughter, training without his permission. Geralt finds Ciri and brings her back to Vesemir, her teacher. However, the titular Wild Hunt, a phantom army whose appearance is the beginning of the end of the world, kidnaps Ciri. While Geralt wakes up, he realizes that it was just a bad dream and he is still on a journey to find Yennefer with his mentor Vesemir.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt features the REDengine 3 game engine, developed by CD Projekt RED and designed specifically for nonlinear role-playing video games set in vast open world environments. It is supposed to help eliminate many of the game development trade-offs previous developers faced, allowing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt developers to create “an open environment with a complex, multi-thread story”. CD Projekt RED has integrated the Umbra 3 Visibility Solution into its engine to handle occlusion culling. As in the previous two Witcher games, players are presented with a complex story featuring multiple choices bearing associated consequences. But REDengine 3 allows for a complex story line without sacrificing the design of the virtual world.
Play as a Highly Trained Monster Slayer for Hire
Trained from early childhood and mutated to have superhuman skills, strength, and reflexes, witchers are a socially ostracized counterbalance to the monster-infested world in which they live.
– Gruesomely destroy foes as a professional monster hunter armed with a range of upgradeable weapons, mutating potions, and combat magic.
– Hunt down a wide variety of exotic monsters, from savage beasts prowling mountain passes to cunning supernatural predators lurking in the shadowy back alleys of densely populated cities.
– Invest your rewards to upgrade your weaponry and buy custom armor, or spend them on horse races, card games, fist fighting and other pleasures life brings.
Track Down the Child of Prophecy in a Morally Ambiguous Fantasy Open World
– Built for endless adventure, the massive open world of The Witcher sets new standards in terms of size, depth and complexity.
– Traverse a fantastical open world: explore forgotten ruins, caves and shipwrecks, trade with merchants and dwarven smiths in cities, and hunt across open plains, amidst mountains and at sea.
– In a time of war, track down the child of prophecy, a living weapon of great power whose coming was foretold in ancient elven legends.
Make choices that go beyond good and evil and face their far-reaching consequences.